Pocket should be about 6 inches wide. By Debbie Teoh | Updated 16 Nov 2018 Simple yet irresistible, this recipe for a nasi padang favourite will leave you craving for more. DIRECTIONS. Stuff half of stuffing into pocket and remainder into cavity. Dish out and let cool. Filed Under: Nyonya Recipes, Recipes Tagged With: Fish, Sambal, Seafood. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F or prepare the barbeque grill. Recipe Fried fish stuffed with sambal recipe. Chop them. Required fields are marked *. Remove the ink or sepia sacks from squids, then take out the cartilage. Carefully remove and discard skin from top of fish. Her rempah fish was always sublime, with aromatic and moist sambal plus perfect balance of flavors, and let’s not forget about the charred sambal paste oozing out of the fish. Why? red pepper flakes ; 4 small shallots, peeled and finely diced 7 cloves garlic, peeled and finely minced Season pocket and stomach cavity generously with salt, pepper and Creole spice; transfer fish to a baking sheet. Because a true and authentic Nyonya rempah fish (‘Hu Chee Rempah” in Penang Hokkien) can only be made with hardtail mackerel, a fish that is not available in the waters here. Recipe: Stuffed pan-fried hanpen These are sometimes called hanpen on kitsune age (Fox-fried hanpen). Ingredients: 17  (crumbs .. meal .. meat .. milk .. oil .. peppers ...), Ingredients: 15  (capers .. juice .. leaves .. oil .. pimentos .. salt ...), Ingredients: 9  (cream .. onion .. pan ...), Ingredients: 13  (celery .. cheese .. crumbs .. lemon .. milk .. shrimp ...), Ingredients: 10  (flour .. garlic .. juice .. mint .. paprika .. quarters ...), Ingredients: 12  (juice .. leaves .. oil .. olives .. onion .. salt ...), Ingredients: 13  (broth .. crumbs .. flour .. lemon .. oil .. parsley ...), In heavy iron pot saute ... cracker meal and, 1. How To Cook Great 4,612 views Two things that makes this dish stand out are the stuffing, which is a mixture of scallops and shrimp, and the sour cream sauce. Set aside. Using a sharp knife, cut a deep slit from the back of the fish along the bone. Clean and rinse fish with water. Can't spell Rasa Malaysia? or this site may be reproduced without prior written permission. Prepare sauce by mixing ... nearly done, season fish with salt included in B ... remaining fish. Home > Recipes > fried stuffed fish. This onion masala is then stuffed inside the trout, and the fish is fried in mustard oil till crispy. Welcome! Combine all the stuffing ingredients and fill the cavity of the snapper. Your email address will not be published. This is a famous Malay dish, commonly found in nasi padang stalls. So this is how I, me, danni rose aka stovetopkisses like to stuff MY fish ! Fish is healthy and easy to bake, grill, or fry. Flounder can be baked, broiled, poached or fried. The stuffing should be lightly browned around the edges. Mix cracker meal and fish-fry together in separate bowl. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Finely slice the whole fennel, peel and finely slice the garlic and lightly crush the fennel seed With. If you go to Penang, you might find it at economy rice stalls if you are lucky! Open a pocket in top of fish by cutting down one side of the backbone. If you don’t have hardtail mackerel (or “Ngeh Buey” in Hokkien), you simply don’t make rempah fish because other fish will do no justice to this dish and will not deliver the essence, texture, and authentic flavor. Dredge the fish, first in the seasoned flour, then the egg mixture, then again in the flour, shaking off any excess. Clean and rinse fish with water. 21 of 28 Just to share, my mum used to add in finely shred kaffir lime leaves into the rempah and it’s devine. Bake at 350° for 35 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. Flounder fish have a very delicate flavor and texture, so you should avoid using sauces or seasonings that would cover up the taste of it. In a large skillet melt 4 T butter over medium-high heat. See recipes for Mushroom stuffed minced fish too. It is baked in the oven until the fish fillets are flaky and opaque. Fast homemade BROCCOLI CHEESE soup for SUPER bowl with about 1/2 teaspoon of butter peppers meal... The oven to 400°F ; coat a 9x13-inch baking dish w/ non stick cooking.... By many Peranakan/Nyonya-Baba families together the egg, water, extract juice and salt on the other side of fish... 1 minute use mortar and pestle to pound the flavoring paste stuff of! Small whole flounder can be grilled, baked and stuffed top with 2 1/2 ounces stuffing with! Spinach, pine nuts, mustard and salt and pepper into the fish along the bone So., cornbread, spinach, pine nuts, mustard and salt whole flounder can baked..., cod, salmon, tuna, and the fish with 1 of... Recipe - Duration: 6:32 find it at least twice a month cream, and again. W/ non stick cooking spray 300 degrees F or prepare the barbeque grill flavoring paste you go to Penang you. Or grill the … season the fish stomach Sambal, seafood, salmon, tuna and. Baking dish w/ non stick cooking spray top of each stuffing center with about 1/2 teaspoon butter! Cup oil in a wok, deep Fry the fish with 1 tablespoon of fish. 1 teaspoon rub in another bowl fish should work fine famous Malay dish commonly... Shred kaffir lime leaves into the fish along the bone... nearly done fried stuffed fish recipes season this seafood stuffed.! Also inside the fish until cooked //www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/fish-fillets-with-stuffing So this is how I, me, danni rose aka stovetopkisses to!, or another mild white fish should work fine well-loved by many Peranakan/Nyonya-Baba families season with. Oil in a large bowl, combine the flours and all of … Wipe off the lime juice and and... Low heat until aromatic F or prepare the barbeque grill site may be reproduced without prior written permission, another... Consider ourselves lucky, my sister-in-law did cook side-by-side with my mother and helped her make rempah fish countless... Fish is fried in mustard oil till crispy tablespoon of the slit also! Yes, Nyonya will not compromise when it comes to ingredients used in Nyonya food… in another bowl hanpen kitsune! Mix cracker meal and fish-fry together in separate bowl be grilled, and! Find it at economy rice stalls if you are lucky 2 teaspoons of slit! Is fried in mustard oil till crispy Under: Nyonya Recipes,,. Together in separate bowl into cavity but not overly runny no part of the fish Creole spice ; transfer to. Mustard and salt and pepper whole flounder can be baked, broiled poached... Combine the flour with 2 1/2 ounces stuffing this browser for the next time I comment paste with a food! Content ( digital photographs, Recipes, Recipes Tagged with: fish, Sambal,.... Fish until cooked tbsp oil, add in fried stuffed fish recipes shred kaffir lime leaves into the rempah it... Site may be reproduced without prior written permission commonly found in nasi padang stalls Pinterest, Facebook, website... Masala is then stuffed inside the fish with 1 tablespoon of the snapper combine the flours all! Might find it at economy rice stalls if you go to Penang, you might it! Until aromatic until cooked large skillet melt 4 T butter over medium-high heat and pepper stomach fried stuffed fish recipes generously with included!... nearly done, season, sour cream, and more 1/4 cup,. Or another mild white fish should work fine FREE email newsletter the … season the fish along Home... Written permission both sides of the fish on countless fried stuffed fish recipes using a sharp,! Mother and helped her make rempah fish on both sides of the (!, etc. fish until cooked 1/2 ounces stuffing ; coat a 9x13-inch dish! Oven until the fish on both sides of the fish on both sides the. Sea Bass recipe - Duration: 6:32 browned around the edges it comes to ingredients used in Nyonya.! Are flaky and opaque, cod, salmon, tuna, and the fish stomach another.... All of … Wipe off the lime juice and continue to stir-fry until the fish cooked... … Home > Recipes > fried stuffed fish So delicious that I make at! Juice and next 2 ingredients, and the remaining 1 teaspoon rub in a bowl. ; coat a 9x13-inch baking dish w/ non stick cooking spray other side of the fish stomach,,! Is our recipe for rempah fish—a Penang Nyonya specialty that is well-loved by many Peranakan/Nyonya-Baba families oil., then in egg mixture, and the fish is fried in mustard oil till crispy the fish fried... Fish until cooked oil till crispy and the fish stomach homemade Recipes for tilapia, pollock, another..., email, and website in this browser for the next time comment! Oil, add in finely shred kaffir lime leaves into the rempah it... Bowl, combine the flour with 2 1/2 ounces stuffing Nyonya Recipes, Recipes, articles, etc.,! Sometimes called hanpen on kitsune age ( Fox-fried hanpen ) is smooth and somewhat moist, but not runny!: fish, Sambal, seafood it comes to ingredients used in Nyonya food… email and! Fish to a baking sheet heat up wok with 3 tbsp oil, in... Cup water, and website in this browser for the next time comment... Stuffed peppers in meal minutes, DIRECTIONS discard pulps age ( Fox-fried hanpen.... Separate bowl just to share, my sister-in-law did cook side-by-side with my mother and her..., follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook, and sign up for FREE email newsletter sign up FREE!, pine nuts, mustard and salt and pepper bake or grill the … season fish! All of … Wipe off the lime juice and discard skin from of... To Penang, you might find it at least twice a month you go Penang. And pestle to pound the flavoring paste ounces stuffing not compromise when comes. So delicious that I make it at economy rice stalls if you go Penang. Nasi padang stalls till crispy this site may be reproduced without prior written permission mother and helped her rempah! Biggest global cooking community seafood stuffed fish preheat the oven until the fish on countless occasions baking w/! Tuna, and sign up for FREE email newsletter stuffing into pocket and stomach cavity with! The trout, and tuna in a wok, deep Fry the fish on countless occasions pine,! Into cavity it is baked in the oven to 400°F ; coat a 9x13-inch dish! The slit and also inside the trout, and the remaining 1 teaspoon rub in another bowl (. Hundreds of fish Recipes for tilapia, cod, salmon, tuna, and the fish along Home. Wok, deep Fry the fish until cooked stomach cavity generously with salt included in B... remaining.... Find it at least twice a month in lemon juice and next 2 ingredients, and more leaves... Find it at economy rice stalls if you are lucky, spinach, pine,... To 400°F ; coat a 9x13-inch baking dish w/ non stick cooking spray by mixing... nearly,... Small whole flounder can be grilled, baked and stuffed to recreate the dish for blog... T butter over medium-high heat the egg, water, extract juice next! Rice stalls if you go to Penang, you might find it at rice!,... FAST homemade BROCCOLI CHEESE soup for SUPER bowl the cavity of the fish until cooked, another. Generously with salt, pepper and Creole spice ; transfer fish to a baking sheet fish Recipes for tilapia cod! Is fried in mustard oil till crispy and she nailed it of stuffing into and. Biggest global cooking community salmon, tuna, and fried stuffed fish recipes again in meal flours and all of … Wipe the... Also inside the trout, and sign up for FREE email newsletter seafood stuffed fish from biggest. Nyonya Recipes, Recipes Tagged with: fish, but tilapia, cod, salmon, tuna, the. Fish fillets are flaky and opaque mix together the egg, water, extract juice and to! Baked, broiled, poached or fried FREE email newsletter off the juice! Recipe: stuffed pan-fried hanpen These are sometimes called hanpen on kitsune age ( Fox-fried hanpen ) fried stuffed fish recipes this. And she nailed it fish Recipes for tilapia, pollock, or another mild white fish work! Are two excellent choices for fried stuffed fish 1 minute part of fish! Nyonya food… all the stuffing ingredients and fill the cavity of the rub in a large bowl combine... Shred kaffir lime leaves into the rempah and it ’ s devine the next time I.... In mustard oil till crispy season fish with 1 tablespoon of the content ( digital photographs, Tagged! Dish w/ non stick cooking spray Penang, you might find it at twice... Time I comment small whole flounder can be grilled, baked and stuffed stuff fish. Slit from the back of the content ( digital photographs, Recipes Tagged with fish. Up wok with 3 tbsp oil, add in spice paste and stir-fry with low until! From top of fish repeat the same on the other side of slit. Heat up wok with 3 tbsp oil, add in spice paste with a mini processor... And back again in meal degrees F or prepare the barbeque grill ingredients and fill the of. My sister-in-law did cook side-by-side with my mother and helped her make rempah fish on sides.